[Asterisk-bsd] On the bleeding edge of asterisk and zaptel with FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE

Lane lane at joeandlane.com
Sat Sep 23 20:08:43 MST 2006

On Saturday 23 September 2006 20:08, Frank Griffith wrote:
> I have played around with * on FreeBSD enough to know that I would now like
> to wean myself off my old answer machine by installing an FXO card and
> hookup my POTS line to my * server. But as usual, I'm afraid of FreeBSD not
> actually supporting or recognizing the PCI card. Can anyone tell me what
> results you've had in using FXO and/or FXS cards?
>
>   I've found a good deal on a X100P FXO PCI Card from
>
>   http://www.digitnetworks.com/X100P_FXO_PCI_Card_p/x100p.htm
>
>   and would like to try it out. But if I have to use Linux to run this
> card, I'd rather put it off until a later time.
>

> ---------------------------------
> Get your email and more, right on the  new Yahoo.com
I've done exactly that, and then some, using a single "Development" FXO/FXS
card and asterisk.  My server is a Dell SC420.  There are some "pops" in the
audio which I believe are due either to fluctuating power supply or some
craziness with the NorthBridge on the motherboard, but they don't really
interfere with conversation so much.

I've been able to install and run asterisk on FreeBSD 5.2, 5.3 and 5.4.  I've
only recently moved to FreeBSD 6.1, but my asterisk server has been running
for about a year now, so I'll probably just let that sleeping dog lie.

I should probably update asterisk, as I'm sure it has advanced beyond my
version (Asterisk 1.0.6-BRIstuffed-0.2.0-RC7j).  But it just works, so why
bother?  I just works.

lane