[Asterisk-bsd] * Not working after upgrade

Kim Culhan w8hdkim at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 03:02:27 MST 2006

On Wed, October 11, 2006 17:36, Thomas Sandford wrote:
> "Frank Griffith" <glassdude45 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Kim Culhan <w8hdkim at gmail.com> wrote:

> FG>  Things went pretty much downhill from there. But thanks to everyone
> who offered advice. And I now have the latest version of FreeBSD-RELEASE
> on my system.
>
> First of all, as the person who fundamentally "did" the upgrade of the
> port from 1.2.9.1 to 1.2.12.1 (though the actual commit was from the port
> maintainer, sobomax at freebsd.org, and he made some cosmetic changes to my
> original patch), I am still bemused as to why it didn't "just work" for
> Frank Griffith, and even more so as to why a reinstall of FreeBSD should
> have helped.

If a reinstall of FreeBSD had not helped, that would indicate the port is
completely broken.

> Having said that there certainly would be instances where:
> % portsnap fetch
> % portsnap extract
> % cd /usr/ports/net/asterisk
> % make deinstall
> % make install clean

Having said that 'I can't understand how this could not work', here are
some reasons it might not work:

> If everyone has got all the dependencies exactly
> right it _should_ be, but with Asterisk in particular there are subtle
> changes in dependencies between versions that are not always picked up -
> particularly if the person doing the port upgrades things themselves in
> the "wrong" order and so doesn't spot the dependency. (I got caught out on
> this myself recently when I updated libpri locally then set out to do an
> update on the asterisk port - not realising that the new asterisk needed
> the libpri update).

As you've probably noticed, the build system which ships with the Asterisk code
(nothing to do with FBSD ports) has checks built-in to make sure the
installed libpri is not outdated. It complains loudly to indicate this.

One option is to take advantage of the fact that
the Asterisk developers go to considerable lengths to make it compile
on FreeBSD with no further 'porting' work required.

Just download the bits, type 'make' and watch it work.

> I can only assume there was a subtle variant of this problem that occured
> in this case, and that by installing over a brand new FreeBSD (and fresh
> ports tree) brand new versions of all dependencies were installed, fixing
> the original problem.

Theres no  question that making an Asterisk port for FreeBSD is
difficult, what with the need to guess at the state the machine is in
and somehow plan for the unknown..

Certainly Thomas gave this port his best shot and it will install a working
Asterisk system.

-kim