[Asterisk-bsd] SHOUTcast MOH Problems

Richard E. Neese r.neese at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 20:51:59 MST 2006

Drop mpg123 andinstall madplayer...

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-bsd-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-bsd-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Mark Kane
Sent: Saturday, October 07, 2006 8:19 PM
To: asterisk-bsd at lists.digium.com
Subject: [Asterisk-bsd] SHOUTcast MOH Problems

Hi everyone.

I've read all over about known problems with mpg123 and MOH being
choppy, but there are a few things different about my situation:

1) When on hold and having mpg123 play the stream, the CPU usage on the
box still shows ~93% idle. mpg123 shows up as 0.0% usage and is quite a
bit down from the top of `top`.

2) Initially when putting them on hold, it plays between 30 and 60
seconds of old audio that was on the stream in the past. Then after that
30-60 seconds, it does a hard cut into what is currently playing
(which sounds pretty bad).

3) I'm doing SHOUTcast audio and not files, so I can't just switch to
the native * mp3 player.

I tried with mpg321 which does play the stream cleanly without skips or
choppiness, but it's very low pitch which I found out is due to mpg321
not being able to output in the correct format.

I have Zaptel (with ztdummy) loaded and it improved a little bit, but
not a whole lot. Music on hold from the native mp3 player comes through
fine so it's not a network, provider, or CPU issue.

The sound of the "choppiness" is basically just cutting in and out
every second or two. It's not super bad, but I'd really like to get it
better if possible...or at least eliminate the 30-60 second playing of
old stream data when initially putting anyone on hold before doing a
hard cut to the current broadcast.

Thanks very much in advance for any suggestions or ideas.

-Mark

--
Internet Radio:
Party107 (Trance/Electronic) - http://www.party107.com

IRC:
MIXXnet IRC Network - irc.mixxnet.net (Nick: MIXX941)