[Asterisk-bsd] Setting up Asterisk on FB6.1 with ISDN

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Thu Nov 16 11:45:49 MST 2006

On Thursday 16 November 2006 16:36, Paul Schenkeveld wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Having played with Asterisk, SIP and IAX2 for a while I now would like
> to hook up my ISDN (BRI) line.
>
> So I need an ISDN/PCI card and some drivers.
>
> My system runs FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE and I've installed the latest
> asterisk-bristuff from ports.
>
> For the driver I see that the asterisk-bristuff port contains the
> chan_capi sources but they do not get built by default.  Should I get
> the drivers from www.selasky.org or are they somewhere hidden in the
> FreeBSD ports tree?
>
> My hardware vendor has the following on offer:
>
>     AVM FRITZ!CARD PCI V2.1
>     AVM ISDN-CONTROLLER B1 4.0 PCI
>     AVM ISDN-CONTROLLER C2
>     AVM ISDN CONTROLLER C4 PCI

The FRITZ!CARD PCI has a very short FIFO of 2x64 bytes, and does not work
reliably with I4B, hence the vendor does not provide any documentation for
the chip used.

The others are active boards, and are very expensive.

I recommend that you buy a board with the HFC-S PCI A chip from colognechip.
They work very well, and have large FIFOs. For example you can get this card
from:

http://shop.beronet.com/index.php/cPath/21_25?osCsid=09f541dd22d4aadcdaab76e8295fac3c

"Single Port S0 Card".

You can also get them cheap on e-bay. Search for example for "Longshine ISDN".

> Any advise on which to use?  The first one is rather cheap so if it runs
> ok that would be nice but I'm prepared to pay for a more expensive one
> if it pays off in quality/features.
>
> Is there any how-to document on-line for getting the combination
> Asterisk+FreeBD+ISDN running?

Install Asterisk, then install subversion, then:

svn --username anonsvn --password anonsvn \
      checkout svn://svn.turbocat.net/i4b
#
# The following commands will
# install the driver on FreeBSD:
#
cd i4b/trunk/i4b/FreeBSD.i4b
make S=../src package
make install

#
# "make help" will give you the necessary kernel options.
#

cd ../../chan_capi
gmake all install

#
# Build a new kernel and read the example configuration files:
#

http://selasky.org/hans_petter/isdn4bsd/index_Obj9_00.html
http://selasky.org/hans_petter/isdn4bsd/index_ObjA_00.html

That's it.