[Asterisk-bsd] PostgreSQL Installed Make a Mess

Vince Vielhaber vev at michvhf.com
Wed May 31 03:54:21 MST 2006

On Tue, 30 May 2006, Frank Griffith wrote:

> I have a FreeBSD-6.0-RC1 machine running with Asterisk-1.2.7.1. The darn thing is that I installed PostgreSQL along time ago using the source code, not the ports or package from FreeBSD. So I guess when the Asterisk port installs it finds PostgreSQL and then tries to point to a cdr_pgsql.so file which it cannot find. Asterisk of course crashes and exits.
>
>  Can anyone tell me what I can do about this? I had the same problem on another machine so I uninstalled PostgreSQL first. This made Asterisk work fine but I'd really like to avoid uninstalling pgsql for now.

Postgres is really easy to upgrade if you installed it manually.

1) backup the data:  pg_dumpall -D > dumpall
2) shut down the database
3) rename the postgres dir: mv /usr/local/pgsql /usr/local/pgsql.old
* renaming it is only in case something went wrong with the dumpall.
4) download, build and install the new version
5) initdb
6) reload you data: pgsq < dumpall

step 5 and 6 are done as the postgres user.  What I prefer about
manually installing postgres is everything is in one place.  Step
3 above allows you to keep mulitple versions - not that you need
more than one but sometimes if doing development it's handy to have
a few versions.

Vince.
--
   Michigan VHF Corp.   http://www.nobucks.net/   http://www.coloser.com/
            Bringing the world a little coloser to your business