[Asterisk-bsd] mpg123 and asterisk port

Graham Menhennitt gmenhennitt at optusnet.com.au
Mon May 29 05:47:05 MST 2006

Vahan Yerkanian wrote:
> Graham Menhennitt wrote:
>> Vahan, could you please explain how to use "native formats" for moh.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>     Graham
>
> Here is my musiconhold.conf:

> I've used sox to convert the files. slinear is for the file formats
> that I don't have readily made, it cuts out the decode part of the
> conversion part every time the file has to be converted.

Thanks for that Vahan. The asterisk side of this seems to be working.
I've set up an extension that just plays moh. When I dial it I hear sounds.

But I can't get sox to convert properly. The files it produces are
almost silent. You can just hear some very strange "tinny" sounds. The
only codec I use is ulaw. So I just used "sox input.mp3 output.ul" (I
also tried "sox input.mp3 -U output.ul"). It must be doing something
almost right, because if I specify the output file as ".lu" instead I
just get white noise. So ".ul" files seem to be the right thing. But I
just don't get any music - just these strange sounds. I don't have
anything that plays .ul files directly. When I use sox to convert them
back to mp3 files, and I play them using Windows Media Player, I get the
same tinny sounds.

Do you have any clues please?

Thanks,
    Graham