[Asterisk-bsd] New to Asterisk...But Just Let Me Keep My FreeBSD

Frank Griffith glassdude45 at yahoo.com
Sun May 28 09:19:37 MST 2006

Asterisk 1.2.7.1 running on an old Dell Optiplex Pentium 220 MgHz, 64MB of RAM with FreeBSD-6.1-RELEASE

  I only recently discovered Asterisk and was indeed happy to find that I would not have to build a Linux server to run it and could keep hacking along happily with my FreeBSD servers. I've gone through the install and have made a simple setup with an X-Lite phone from a WinXP machine on the LAN. That's cool and of course I am loaded with questions on how to get more out of this thing. But I'll start with a few that seem to be related to FreeBSD first.

  There seems to be some kind of issue with the mpg123 player. When I start Asterisk there are some warning messages about it. And what seems to be worse is that the mpg123 processes do not stop nor can I kill them once I exit Asterisk. Is this a real issue or should I just ignore it. The music-on-hold seems to work but there are times when it is choppy. I found a work around for this using rawplayer and I'm just getting it compiled right now, but I'd really prefer to use mpg123 as I don't want to have to convert MP3 files before using them with rawplayer.

  Any advice on this as well as any other tips, tricks for running Asterisk on FreeBSD will be welcomed.