[Asterisk-bsd] mpg123 and asterisk port

Vahan Yerkanian vahan at arminco.com
Wed May 24 03:19:09 MST 2006

Arne Steinkamm wrote:
> We should replace the dependency to mpg123 with madplay to be on the very safe
> side.
> madplay has none of the problems of mpg123 and works flawless here.
>
> I'm not deep enough into the details whether we do any sort of mp3 player
> or not using recent asterisks.
>
> .//. Arne

I've tried madplay also. To my ear, it's mp3 decode quality was much
worse than mpg123, sounded like 8bit audio. Also, as the hard disk space
gets cheaper and cheaper, I don't see a real need to have MOH in mp3,
except for the convenience compared to decoding them into sln or
recoding to other formats.

Vahan