[Asterisk-bsd] mpg123 and asterisk port

Arne Steinkamm arne at Steinkamm.COM
Wed May 24 01:09:03 MST 2006

We should replace the dependency to mpg123 with madplay to be on the very safe
side.
madplay has none of the problems of mpg123 and works flawless here.

I'm not deep enough into the details whether we do any sort of mp3 player
or not using recent asterisks.

.//. Arne

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 12:47:13PM -0500, Dr. Rich Murphey wrote:
> The fix for mpg123 is here:
>
> http://www.whiteoaklabs.com/code/patch-mpg123.c
>
> mpg123 loops indefinitely when it
> ignores the the error code while
> trying to read from a closed pipe.  This
> is a subtle effect of the thread library using
> non-blocking IO, and, as far as I can tell,
> not an incorrect behavior of asterisk.
>
> Cheers,
> Rich
>

> Vahan Yerkanian wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >For some time now mpg123 is a build dependency for the asterisk port.
> >Although I'm using native mod moh on all of my installations, from
> >time to time I try to see if mpg123's problems with taking up idle CPU
> >time have gone away.
> >
> >The problem is still there, making mpg123 threads eat up the CPU
> >cycles right after out-of-the-box port install. Forcefully
> >pkg_delete-ing mpg123 port and restarting the asterisk makes the
> >problem go away.
> >
> >Do we really still want mpg123 as a dependency now that we have native
> >mp3 and other native formats available for music on hold?
> >
> >regards,
> >Vahan

Arne Steinkamm         | Home:     Mail: arne<at>steinkamm<dot>com  IRC: Arne
Tel.: +49.89.299756    |    URL: http://WWW.Steinkamm.COM/  NIC-Handle: AS306
Laendstrasse 4         | Work: Ethon Technologies  Mail: arne<at>ethon<dot>de
80538 Muenchen GERMANY |    Tel: +49.7347.9200410   URL: http://WWW.Ethon.DE/