[Asterisk-bsd] On the bleeding edge of asterisk and zaptel with FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE

Kim Culhan w8hdkim at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 04:00:59 MST 2006

On 6/18/06, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
> > There are those of us who find the existing Asterisk build system
> > very simple as it doesn't require any more effort to maintain:
>
> problem is does not scale.  can't hack 29 pieces of sw on 42 servers.
> that's why we have ports, portmanager/portupgrade, ...
>
> for an individual system, fine, well, almost fine.  see appended

The appended possibly indicates a failure of the Asterisk build system
to allow compilation on FreeBSD-current, is that what FBSD version you used ?

You should know by now that running a complicated and critical telephone system
on FreeBSD-current makes no sense -current is for development of the
operating system and not for running mission-critical things.

It would not be a good idea to run even one Asterisk server on -current

> but it needs to be mfced to be really useful to all.

For those who may not be familiar with the term, mfc means Merge From Current

A Merge From Current happens when code is first made to work on -current
then the code is 'merged' back into -Stable.

Before the MFC can take place, careful testing is done on -current
before the code is considered reliable enough to be used on -stable.

This level of quality control makes FreeBSD very attractive for
critical applications.

[snip]

> gcc -g -Wall -o menuselect menuselect.o menuselect_curses.o ../mxml/libmxml.a -lncurses
> menuselect.o(.text+0x123c): In function `generate_makeopts_file':
> /usr/local/src/asterisk/asterisk/build_tools/menuselect.c:519: undefined reference to `strdupa'
> menuselect.o(.text+0x12b1):/usr/local/src/asterisk/asterisk/build_tools/menuselect.c:527: undefined reference to `strdupa'
> gmake[1]: *** [menuselect] Error 1
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/asterisk/asterisk/build_tools'
> gmake: *** [build_tools/menuselect] Error 2

Is this from Asterisk source obtained via subversion as described in my
original post ?

In order for the Asterisk build system to do the Right Thing on FreeBSD
it does checks to determine the operating system and version.

Its quite possible the 'uname' command returns something which does not
cause the Asterisk build system to do the Right Thing.

The purpose of my original post was to describe a method which could be used
to build the latest Asterisk bits on FreeBSD-stable.

Just before posting, this method was tested to verify it was up to date and
worked as described.

If this doesn't fit certain requirements please post a solution
which meets those requirements.

Please also make that post with it's own [different] subject line.

regards
-kim