[Asterisk-bsd] Version of FreeBSD?

jerry at voiptower.com jerry at voiptower.com
Fri Feb 24 01:29:06 MST 2006

Hi all,

I dug out a FreeBSD box I had been running an ancient version of Asterisk
on for testing, to try out the latest stuff. Very nice, I must say, and
it looks like FreeBSD has gone from a sandbox to where you could run a
production server.

I am running 4.X on this box (I know, it's ancient) and I've been able to
bring up the 1.2.4 of Asterisk from SVN. The PRI stuff doesn't really
appear to work, and Zaptel was broken. A little Google and I found the
zaptel-bsd stuff; a bit of hacking and I had something compiling. (Not
sure if libpri is needed or supported in FreeBSD for now)

I'm wondering if it's really worth it to try and get this working, or
if it would be better to try 5.X or even 6.X. (I'd like to try 6.X,
but I read somewhere support was coming "real soon"; not sure if that
is out of date docs or not).

My previous ancient version of Asterisk would come up and run, but
having usuable conversations with it was tough. I'm hoping to get
ztdummy working and possibly even a Zap card.

Thanks,
J.