[Asterisk-bsd] Asterisk First Time Questions (AMD64 and SMP questions)

Aristedes Maniatis ari at ish.com.au
Sun Feb 19 04:33:17 MST 2006

On 18/02/2006, at 8:24 AM, 6ntis4t02 at sneakemail.com wrote:

> As well, the wiki mentions that the drivers aren't SMP ready, is
> this still accurate? and if so, is this just a matter of the
> drivers not utilizing a second processor, or is it a case of the
> drivers not working at all on a SMP system?

I'd say this probably means that it is under a GIANT lock. At any
rate this driver seems to be happy under a hyperthreading P4 CPU,
which is (almost) like a SMP system as far as FreeBSD/kernel/drivers
are concerned.

Zapata Telephony Interface Registered on major 196
FXS device: vendor=e159 device=1 subvendor=b119
wcfxs0: <Wildcard TDM400P REV I> port 0xa000-0xa0ff mem
0xf8000000-0xf8000fff irq 22 at device 2.0 on pci1
FXS Attach for wcfxs0: deviceID : 0xe159
wcfxs0: [GIANT-LOCKED]

> As well are there any FreeBSD specific gotchas or problems that I
> should be aware of when I'm installing Asterisk? The plan so far is
> to install everything from ports and then deal with the Asterisk
> specific stuff.

I tried a whole bunch of GUI config editors out there. All of them
(that I tried) had hardcoded Linux paths and other silly annoyances.
In the end, although the sample extensions.conf that comes with
Asterisk looks daunting, I found it much easier to start with a blank
file and just add bits as you figure out how they work.

Ari Maniatis

ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001
PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2  A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8