[Asterisk-bsd] Asterisk First Time Questions (AMD64 and SMP questions)

6ntis4t02 at sneakemail.com 6ntis4t02 at sneakemail.com
Fri Feb 17 14:24:06 MST 2006

I've been tasked to set up an Asterisk machine for my workplace, but I've never done this before so I'm asking for help from people who've been down this road before.

I'd like to use FreeBSD 6.0 as that's what I like and know best, judging from the mailing list this part doesn't seem to be an issue.

My questions involve the server I'd like to use, it's a Dual Opteron machine running FreeBSD 6.0 Stable (AMD64). I'm also looking at getting a Digium TDM02B - (2) FXO card, as this seems to be the most reliable and well supported card (if it's not, I would really like to know what I should be using).

The VoIP-Info wiki seems to be a bit out of date, so I'm just wondering how well the Zaptel drivers work on AMD64, or if I would be better off going with i386 for better reliability. As well, the wiki mentions that the drivers aren't SMP ready, is this still accurate? and if so, is this just a matter of the drivers not utilizing a second processor, or is it a case of the drivers not working at all on a SMP system?

As well are there any FreeBSD specific gotchas or problems that I should be aware of when I'm installing Asterisk? The plan so far is to install everything from ports and then deal with the Asterisk specific stuff.

Thanks.