[Asterisk-bsd] The future of 4.X support was [zaptel-bsd]

Dinesh Nair dinesh at alphaque.com
Tue Sep 27 00:59:53 CDT 2005

On 09/27/05 02:17 Alexander Timoshenko said the following:
>     I don't want to abandone 4.x version completely. And i don't want to
> add ifdefs for the reason you've mentioned before. So

if it's becoming too heavy for the existing developers to handle, i could
take on the maintanence of 4.x's zaptel driver code branch. in many cases,
the only difference is just centred around the handling of device nodes and
module loading. a recent problem i had with the wct4xxp.ko driver was
solved trivially by just changing the location of a block of code within
wct4xxp.c and nothing more.

> the best solution(IMHO) would be create a separate branch for 4.X.  I've
> browsed CVS history of zaptel.c - and there were no heavy changes

perhaps we could also handle it in such a way that the zaptel/card specific
functions are separated away leaving the workings of the driver the same in
all branches of freebsd. this way we could easily produce builds for the
different branches by just handling the driver/kernel specific issues.

dinesh at alphaque.com                (0 0)    http://www.alphaque.com/