[Asterisk-bsd] Re: Which g729 driver?

Tom Samplonius tom.samplonius at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 20:16:51 CST 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:08:08 -0000, Chris Stenton <jacs at gnome.co.uk> wrote:
> Well if the IPP code core dumps then the chances are the digium one is
> better. Its based on the annex A  source code. If I remember all they have
> done to speed it up is to use some inlining.  I  tried the annex B code
> which seemed to be stable enough with no crashes but its slower than annex A
> and not sure if I noticed any difference in quality may be its slightly
> better on background noise?

  Well, to be clear, the IPP code does not dump core.  g729 works
well.  I made g729 the first code, and ulaw the second option in
Asterisk.  But If I change the config of an UA to use ulaw first,
Asterisk core dumps.

  So, the IPP driver can be used, but it better be the only CODEC you
accept, otherwise Asteriks crashes.

  I also think the IPP driver is an universal g729 driver.  That is,
it can handle any g729 variant.  In fact, how do you select different
g729 variants in allow= statements, if there are different drivers for
each variant?

> Re real systems would be interesting to know who uses it in anger.
>
> my system is small   six phones, flash panel linked to vtiger crm. Number of
> crashes in the last five months zero - running cvs head on FreeBSD 5.3.
> Anyone else using a crm linked into asterisk I have only just started using
> vtiger and it still has a few issues but is usable!

  I plan to try the HEAD branch.  The 1.0.x branches aren't that
stable.  1.0.6 was put out even though something basic like MOH
doesn't work.  Every other stable release seems to have a major flaw
in it.

Tom