[Asterisk-bsd] SoftPhone for BSD

Lane lane at joeandlane.com
Tue Mar 1 20:54:42 CST 2005

On Tuesday 01 March 2005 19:09, Kavit Munshi wrote:
> Preston Garrison wrote:
> > When i tested a bunch of softphones for freebsd i had no luck getting
> > me decient quality. Finally ended up dedicated a pc in windows just to
> > be my phone :)
> >

> > Preston Garrison
> > direct: 877-748-4142
> > fax: 310-774-3901
> > cell: 623-748-4140

Garrison,

Thanks for your comments.

I have to admit that I haven't spent much time mucking with the config of
kphone ... mainly because it doesn't seem to hold the config.   I've tried to
set the "Read Write" radio button, but it doesn't stay set from session to
session.  I also have tried to specify /dev/dsp0.0 in Device, but that field
is blank the next time I start kphone.

I've also tried each of the three codecs offered (G711u, GSM, and iLBC) but
the sound is just too choppy to understand regardless of the Read/Write
setting, the device, or the codec.

I run asterisk on a Dell SC420 with no sound card, and I run X, kphone, and
other desktop apps on a Systemax clone with sound card a faster processor and
generally more resources.

I run XLite on a GateWay 400 MHz processor running W2K and that is where I get
the best sound from an SIP software phone.

I'm running kphone 4.1.0, the latest (I think).  Do you have an earlier
version, maybe?  www.wirlab.net had this comment about 4.1.0, but I didn't
think it was relevant because I don't use ALSA:

"Consider the new 4.1.x release branch unstable until further notice. We hope
to relieve the sound troubles for all you ALSA hackers out there with this
release ... see the change log for details."

Are you using ALSA?  Maybe that's what I'm missing...

Anyway, thanks for your observations.

lane