[Asterisk-bsd] FreeBSD Port maintainer still maintaining port?

Dinesh Nair dinesh at alphaque.com
Tue Jan 4 21:46:29 CST 2005

On 05/01/2005 09:23 Dr. Rich Murphey said the following:
> Excellent question.  I can't find any FreeBSD ports that grab a cvs-head
> rather than a snapshot archive. --  Perhaps because it's necessary to
> freeze changes for the sake of finishing each release.

in trying to find a balance between the asterisk development philosophy and
freebsd's development/release philosophy, i think it'd be better if we only
released (via the ports mechanism) tested and working freezed snapshots of
asterisk stable. there could be another port, asterisk-head for eg, which
pulls down a tarball of cvs-head and is marked as a bleeding edge version.
the tarballs can be produced on a weekly basis.

> I think that focusing on FreeBSD support in asterisk-current would
> enhance the quality of the FreeBSD support, because it increases the

hear, hear.

> bug meisters is the key, I believe.  I wonder, what, if anything, they
> or the various FreeBSD people would envision that isn't being done?

a bigger issue, imo, is the disjoint between the zaptel drivers on linux
and the zaptel drivers on freebsd.

also, i think that we (the asterisk freebsd folk) should take advantage of
this mailing list for more communicative messages. until this thread, i
kept a copy of asterisk 1.0.2 and my own set of patches which made it
build/compile on freebsd 4.10 myself. i didnt know that the ports version
had been bumped up to 1.0.2 either. at the same time, i've still yet to
receive a copy of the zaptel drivers for the TE410P/TE405P quad-E1 cards. i
beleive a little more cooperation here is crucial to making asterisk more
freebsd-friendly.

dinesh at alphaque.com                (0 0)    http://www.alphaque.com/