[Asterisk-bsd] * 1.2.1

Gil Kloepfer astr-bsd at kloepfer.org
Tue Dec 13 07:21:48 CST 2005

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 10:17:33AM +0200, Konstantin Prokazoff wrote:
>     does anybody use 1.2.1 version from official downloads under 5.4 stable?
> I have some issues, under heavy load * dumps. gdb backtrace shown below. any
> ideas?
> #0: pthread_testcancel()
> #1: pthread_mutexattr_init()
> #2: ??()

I am running on 5.4-RELEASE, but I believe I am having the same issues
as you are with the core dumps.

Unfortunately the traceback you have is not very helpful because it
does not actually identify where the problem is happening.  I was able
to get a more useful trace by running Asterisk from within gdb using
Asterisk's -c option.

You will be able to cause Asterisk to crash immediately by executing
the Milliwatt application  (exten => 1234,1,Milliwatt).  I have not
been able to determine why this happens.  I asked for help on the
list, but only one person responded and they did not provide any
information that helped.

I have been running 1.2.1 under FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE and as long as I
do not use Milliwatt it has not crashed.  However, I am not running
under a heavy load.  I am also not actively using any Zaptel hardware --
I have a single generic modem card that I have kept for timing only (I
do not use any external telco lines).  All of my phones are SIP-based.

I probably did not provide any useful information for you except that
I share your frustration and issues.

Here is the backtrace from a few weeks ago under 1.2.0 (same problem
as 1.2.1) when I ran Asterisk from within gdb and executed Milliwatt:

[begin backtrace]
     -- Executing Answer("SIP/204-6259", "") in new stack
     -- Executing Milliwatt("SIP/204-6259", "") in new stack

 [Switching to Thread 14 (LWP 100159)]
 0x08061cbc in ast_write (chan=0x8143000, fr=0x8e250080) at channel.c:2277
 2277    channel.c: No such file or directory.
         in channel.c
 (gdb) bt
 #0  0x08061cbc in ast_write (chan=0x8143000, fr=0x8e250080) at channel.c:2277
 #1  0x285f0fa8 in milliwatt_generate (chan=0x81430cc, data=0x86c7450,
     len=-1082279552, samples=134620855) at app_milliwatt.c:102
 #2  0x080626b7 in ast_read (chan=0x8143000) at channel.c:1968
 #3  0x437f6b36 in ?? ()
 #4  0x00030e08 in ?? ()
 #5  0x437f6b36 in ?? ()
 #6  0x000343de in ?? ()
 #7  0x081430cc in ?? ()
[...]
[end backtrace]

I have been running Asterisk 1.2.1 at work under heavy load on Debian
Linux with TE410P Zaptel cards with excellent results and stability.
So the problems we are having seem to be FreeBSD-specific, unfortunately.
The good news is that I do not think that the problems are Zaptel-related.

---
Gil Kloepfer
astr-bsd at kloepfer.org