[Asterisk-bsd] Hello List :) New to Asterisk not new to FreeBSD

webmasterb webmasterb at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 20:42:37 CST 2005

This page leads me to think they are supported for FreeBSD.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=FreeBSD+zaptel

But in doing further reading I found this sliver:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+FreeBSD

"Asterisk 1.0.9 <http://www.freshports.org/net/asterisk/> is now available
via the ports or packages. The FreeBSD port automatically includes the
Zaptel driver, and H323 support. If you build the port from source, you can
use the WITHOUT_H323 and WITHOUT_ZAPTEL knobs to disable these things."

Leading me to think maybe all I need to do is install asterisk from the
ports collection?

But when I initially tried that I could not fetch it correctly:

patrick# make && make install
===>  Vulnerability check disabled, database not found
=> asterisk-1.0.6.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/.
=> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/.
fetch: ftp://ftp.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/asterisk-1.0.6.tar.gz:
No address record
=> Attempting to fetch from
ftp://ftp.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/old-releases/.
fetch:
ftp://ftp.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/old-releases/asterisk-1.0.6.tar.gz:
No address record
=> Attempting to fetch from
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/.
fetch:
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/asterisk-1.0.6.tar.gz:
File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
=> Couldn't fetch it - please try to retrieve this
=> port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles/ and try again.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/net/asterisk.

Ok let's try and use pkg_add:

patrick# pkg_add -rv asterisk
looking up ftp.freebsd.org
connecting to ftp.freebsd.org:21
setting passive mode
opening data connection
initiating transfer
Error: FTP Unable to get
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5.4-release/Latest/asterisk.tbz:
File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
pkg_add: unable to fetch '
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5.4-release/Latest/asterisk.tbz'
by URL
pkg_add: 1 package addition(s) failed

Tried this to make sure pkg_add is not the problem:

patrick#   pkg_add -rv apache

Sure enough that worked ok and installed apache.

I did notice that it seems to try and fetch an older version (1.0.6) than
the one I tried to install from source (1.0.9).  Maybe that has something to
do with my issue?  Possibly someone besides Alex will chime in.

I'll put on a pot of coffee.

bb

On 12/3/05, Alex Ayala <alex at ayalanetworks.com> wrote:

> I believe there is not support for zaptel drivers on freebsd just yet.
>  Maybe I'm wrong.
>

> On 12/3/05 1:16 PM, "webmasterb" <webmasterb at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hello fellow asteriskers (can i say that?)
>
> My name is Brian.  I'm looking to setup asterisk on a 1.1GB machine with
> 256MB of RAM Using an X100P wildcard (clone? i ordered the devices on EBay).
> When up and running I would like to use this machine with my Vonage VOIP
> connection. To support my young educational non-profit org -> shameless plug
> www.parkday.org <http://www.parkday.org/> <http://www.parkday.org/> .
>
> I have been reading about asterisk for about one month now. I have
> purchased the O'reilly Book "Asterisk: The Future of Telephony" and have
> read about half of it.
>
> First attempt at running asterisk on FreeBSD 6.0 RELEASE resulted in a
> core dump anytime I tried to run asterisk from the cmd line. Poking around I
> read somewhere?? that asterisk is not quite ready for 6.0 RELEASE just
> yet.  Upon reading this I went and re-installed the OS with version 5.4RELEASE.
>
> First thing I did after re-installing my OS is re-copiled my kernel to
> remove all extraneous devices, everything is ok so far.
>
> Now I downloaded all the asterisk (main sounds addons) source code from
> digium ftp site placed them in /usr/src.
>
> Then I went into the /usr/ports and installed bison gmake and libpri.
>
> >From there went to the zaptel ports directory to install the zaptel
> drivers from there... Here's where things start to get sticky?
>
> patrick#   make clean && make && make install
>
> install seemed to be completed ok
>
>  patrick#  /usr/local/etc/rc.d/zaptel.sh start
> kldload: can't load %%PREFIX%%/lib/zaptel/zaptel
> .ko: No such file or directory
>
> Here's where I'm lost?  On my first attempt using 6.0-RELEASE zaptel
> started up fine at boot time and even recognized both X100P cards?
>
> So I wondered . . . Do I need to install asterisk before I tried to run
> the zaptel drivers?  So I went into /usr/src/asterisk-1.0.10 and ran:
>
> patrick#  gmake clean && gmake && gmake install
>
> All seemed to go well there, So I ran:
>
>  patrick#  /usr/local/etc/rc.d/zaptel.sh start
>
> Which resulted in the same error as before.  So now I'm really stumped!
>

> Any assistance with my conundrum would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Thanx
>
> bb
>

> #-#-#-#-#

#-#-#-#-#