[Asterisk-bsd] Choppy sound error when starting server

Staffan Ulfberg staffanu+freebsd at multivac.fatburen.org
Sun Apr 3 07:16:42 CDT 2005

Kiel R Stirling <kiel at knss.net> writes:

> I am new to asterisk so please be kind. When I start asterisk I get this
> error "Unable to open pseudo channel for timing...  Sound may be
> choppy."

Some Asterisk modules use the zaptel device for timing.  If you do not
have any hardware supported by the zaptel driver, you can load the
"ztdummy" driver instead.  I do not know if it is as good as the real
thing (I vaguely remember reading it uses some USB timer instead of
the one built into the Digium hardware).  I do not believe the rc.d
file that comes with the zaptel port loads ztdummy by default.

Try:

# kldload /usr/local/lib/zaptel/zaptel.ko
# kldload /usr/local/lib/zaptel/ztdummy.ko

Staffan