[Asterisk-bsd] Re: One Way Audio

Jeff Rizzo riz+asterisk at boogers.sf.ca.us
Sun Oct 17 13:49:38 CDT 2004

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote:

>Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih at eunetnorge.no> writes:
>

>>I'll see if I can rig my system to do some debugging -- it's got a
>>few interfaces configured.
>>

>I can certainly duplicate the situation here.  I don't do NAT, but my
>Asterisk *is* running on the system that functions as a gateway
>between outside and inside networks, and letting it bind to all
>interfaces (bindaddr=0.0.0.0) breaks it just as has been described.
>
>The obvious workaround is, as I've been doing anyway, to keep Asterisk
>bound to one, official, IP address.  It's not as if it's a problem for
>the gateway system to route (and NAT) between two of its interfaces
>while talking to phones on the inside.

I don't think he has the option of binding to a specific address in this
case;  here, the asterisk box is also the NAT itself, and there's only a
single external IP address.   I seem to recall we were having even
greater problems before your patch to fix binding to 0.0.0.0...
However, it *might* work in this case to bind to the external address...
we'll give that a try.  (Though I don't think we'll be able to do so
until at least Wednesday, maybe later)

>However, I'll be looking at this more closely.
>
>-tih

I may try digging through the asterisk code to see if I can figure out
why it's sourcing packets with the wrong IP under these circumstances,
but I doubt I'll be able to get to that for a little while.  What I find
curious is that the Polycom phone seems to be rejecting the packets with
the unexpected IP, but the softphone ("sjphone") seems to be OK with
it.  I wonder if polycom has a setting for this...

+j