[Asterisk-bsd] Asterisk does not pickup or hangup TELCO line

Lane lane at joeandlane.com
Thu Dec 30 16:03:37 CST 2004

Hi (again).

I posted a similar rant on asterisk-users, but none of the responses have
solved my problem.

I'm using a TDM11B (single FXO, single FXS) and I'm able to get Port 1 to
supply a dial-tone to an analog phone.  I have even been able (on only one
occasion) to place a call to my cell phone via native bridge from Zap/1-1 to
Zap/4-1.

But here's the problem:

If I disconnect Asterisk from the wall and disconnect all other phones from
their respective wall outlets and then plug the line back into Port 4, then
wait a moment and try to call in from my cell phone, I get a busy signal.

This occurs whether the Asterisk computer is powered up or powered down!

If I then reconnect one of the other lines I get that fast, loud, busy signal
that indicates you've left the phone off the hook for an extended period of
time.

Even if I try to power the box back up the phone line never gets hung up.  Or,
if it was powered up when I began the test, it won't get hung up when I power
it down.

In order to get a dial tone I have to physically remove the plug from the back
of the asterisk box.

I've tried this using several different telephone outlets and several
different telephone wires, but I still get the same thing ... the TDM card
seems to send the line "off hook" and won't put it back on hook.

Is it normal for the TDM card to keep the TELCO line off hook?

Thanks,

Lane