[asterisk-biz] Algorithms for generating dialing codes and rates?

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Thu Sep 27 07:31:21 CDT 2012

Practically speaking, there is no universal answer here.

The technical answer to the question of "how do I comb my database?"
depends on your database design.  It's a question to ask a SQL person or
DBA.

As for algorithms, that depends on your desired business rules.  Rate
blending formulas can be very simple, or quite complex.  A simple
formula would be to take the most granular prefix available among all
your vendors, mark up the price by a percentage or linear margin, and
put the price and the prefix into a resulting retail rate deck.  That is
safe enough, assuming that the vendor that provides your most granular
(longest) prefixes has decent ASR, and can be counted on to actually
take most of the calls you send them.

On the other hand, our routing/LCR/rating product comes with a
supplementary rate blender script that applies a somewhat more complex
theory.  It does use the longest prefixes available from vendors, as
well, but operates on the theory that the cheapest vendor routes should
also be the highest-margin, and therefore takes, as parameters, linear
steps in pricing breaks.  Thus, you can, say something like: start at
0.005/min margin for rates of 0.002/min or lower, and decrease in steps
of X% margin to a ceiling of, say, 0.008/min, after which the margin is
held constant (so that the margin doesn't decrease asymptotically).  It
also applies an additional tax and risk premium to every destination, to
cover things like USF, and the risk that the primary vendor won't be the
one completing the call.

This is not industry standard.  There is no industry standard.  We just
came up with it ourselves.  That's what everyone does.