[asterisk-biz] Quote for feature: Check to see if a peer is up

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed May 23 07:21:54 CDT 2012

On 05/23/2012 07:09 AM, Alex Balashov wrote:
> You mean Asterisk uses a Timer T1 value of 250 by default? Or just for OPTIONS requests?

Neither. If 'qualify' is enabled for a peer, the T1 timer for that peer
is reduced to the average of its response time to the OPTIONS pings that
'qualify' generates (with a default minimum of 100ms). This behavior can
be overridden by changing the minimum T1 timer value as I posted previously.

While this behavior is technically not RFC3261 compliant (and I've had
discussions about it with at least one of the RFC's authors), it's quite
useful in making decisions about whether a peer has become unavailable
more quickly than would normally be possible. For a local peer that
responds to OPTIONS requests in 100ms or less, if that peer stops
responding, Asterisk will be able to make that determination in
approximately 6 seconds, instead of the 32 seconds that would normally
be required.

--
Kevin P. Fleming