[asterisk-biz] [BULK] Re: Humbug Analytics - Falcon Release]

Nir Simionovich nir.simionovich at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 11:21:33 CST 2011

Hi All,

   For those who visited Astricon 2010, you may know that I'm also
involved in the Humbug Project. As some of your raised
some valid points, I felt that this is a good opportunity to shed some
light on issues like privacy and what is the Humbug Cloud.

   First off, let's talk about the cloud. When people these days talk
about cloud based services, they automatically think of platforms
such as AWS (Amazon EC2/S3/RDS/SDB etc), RackSpace Cloud, Google Apps
and so on. Due to the various privacy restrictions a
service like Humbug should inflict upon itself, we ended up building our
own Virtualization cloud. This is not a private cloud inside
a large cloud infrastructure (AKA: IAAS), these are our own servers and
hosting facility. We have our own storage servers, VMWARE
servers, network connectivity - all hosted in a secured environment. Our
network is fully redundant, utilizing High-Availability
firewalls, multi-homed internet connectivity, load balanced web services
and clustered databases. In other words, we've built a
solid ground service environment, we are not relying on some obscure
cloud infrastructure provided by some hosting provider.

   Now, let's talk about privacy. Some would argue that the fact that
the collector sends out the CDR's to our system for analysis
is a privacy issue - however - that is completely untrue. Companies
aren't aware, however, they had compromised their privacy
well too many times, even before thinking about using Humbug. For
example, let's take the modern start-up company, or the
modern business outfit, they would most probably utilize some (or all)
of the following tools:

1. A hosted PBX service
2. A hosted CRM service (SalesForce, SohoOS, etc)
3. A hosted Mail service (Hosted Exchange, Hosted Zimbra, Gmail, Gmail
Business, etc)
4. A hosted File sharing service (Dropbox, S3, etc)

   In other words, the company's data is handled by multiple entities,
which you may or may not trust. For example, I totally trust
Google to read my gmail account and try and ascertain what I'm doing. At
the same time, Google also gathers my web analytics
information and provides me with AdWords. Google is the prime entity
that can correlate information from all sides and find out
so much information about my business. You end up saying: "Don't use
Google", but if you don't, Google can't find you - so you
are in a lose lose scenario. In other words, have your CDRs analyzed on
our system, then having them stored internally in an
encrypted format is truly the least of your worries.

   Now, we also have a community edition of Humbug available - which was
released in November. There is slight differences
between the community edition and the SaaS edition, specifically these
related to fraud analysis and detection. There are various
patents related to how fraud can be detected, thus, these can't be
released to the Open Source just like that (ala g729).

   While you may look at Humbug and see a project/service, Humbug is
actually a community (not implemented yet). Thing of
Humbug as a community of PBX owners, working in a collaborative
environment in order to analyze, detect and prevent
telephony fraud around the world. The strength of Humbug is in it's
size. Sure, if you install your own platform you will be able
to detect fraud and analyze your own traffic, however, why not join
forces with the other people already using the SaaS and gain
the overall knowledge of the entire system. The collaborative knowledge
and experience of the entire network is something you
will never find in any other medium, no matter how big is your system.
Humbug takes a very simple, community oriented,
concept of operation: "United we stand, divided we fall".

Cheers,
   Nir S