[asterisk-biz] DID that does not cut off additional number

David Knell dave at 3c.co.uk
Fri Feb 11 09:57:01 CST 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-11 at 16:05 +0100, Jay R. Worthington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i read some time ago that there are special ISDN numbers that do not
> cut off additional numbers that are dialed, i.e. if the basenumber
> from the carrier is +495555555 and someone dial's +495555555123456789,
> i can see the entire number in asterisk and not only the  basenumber
> part like on normal (german) ISDN links. Can someone tell me how this
> feature is called (maybe my carrier offers that as a paid feature in
> BRI/PRI), and can someone offer SIP DID's with this feature?
>
> (i have a pretty special client that has to/wants to record all calls
> including cellphones, so we would like to route all calls via the
> corporate pbx using the "IP Dialing" Feature that prepends a
> configurable number...)

Hi Jay -

We tried this a while back in the UK.  Whilst we were quite happily able
to receive calls to numbers with extra digits appended, the mobile
operators appeared to know that UK landline numbers are a certain length
and truncated the dialled numbers accordingly.

You also run the risk of the calls traversing equipment which can't
handle long numbers - the ITU (IIRC) used to suggest that switches
support a minimum of 15 digits, and I think that's now 18.

We came to the conclusion that two-stage dialling was the only feasible
solution.  Be very interested to hear if your mileage varies!

--Dave

--
David Knell, Director, 3C Limited
T: +44 20 3298 2000