[asterisk-biz] PRI vs SIP vs ???

David Knell dave at 3c.co.uk
Sun Oct 31 01:55:01 CDT 2010

> It may be different in the UK. 5-9s is the expectation with LECs in the US.
> Many of us have had T1s that have been up for a dozen years with no
> failures.

Don't think there's that much difference between the UK and the US -
people here expect a PRI circuit simply not to go wrong (which, if I'm
being pedantic, is even more stringent than 5x9s..)  But they do.
99.999% means that, for every customer who has a day-long outage in a
given year owing to someone digging up their cable [and we all know
someone to whom that's happened], nearly three hundred have to have no
outage at all during that year to maintain the batting average.

--Dave