[asterisk-biz] PRI vs SIP vs ???

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 19:45:06 CDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 11:58 AM, David Knell <dave at 3c.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-10-30 at 06:13 -0400, Zeeshan Zakaria wrote:
>> Doesn't matter how good VoIP is, there is no comparison with a real
>> physical line. For absolutely 0 tolerance, guaranteed voice quality
>> and 99.999% uptime, a physical T1 is the only solution.
>
> A physical T1 won't give you 99.999% uptime (that's five minutes of
> downtime every year), and a semi-decent VoIP solution can give
> guaranteed quality: we used to offer SDSL lines direct into our
> platform, run G.711 over them and the quality was indistinguishable from
> calls running over a PRI.

Sorry but I disagree, I do get for most of my PRI customers less than
5 minutes of downtime a year over a 5 year span. While my VoIP
customers get around 20 hours downtime a year. I do consider crap
quality downtime, and crap voice quality happens around 10 minutes a
week with EVERY provider I have tried if the customer uses Internet.
With a direct connection its way less but not eliminated. BTW, I don't
count a downed utility pole that took out cable, phone, fiber,
electric and everything else to a building - due to a MVA or storm -
as downtime, as it effects every type of connection.