[asterisk-biz] Digium vs. Sangoma Transcoding card

Mitul Limbani mitul at enterux.com
Sat Oct 30 03:28:38 CDT 2010

Hello,

> I personally strongly prefer Digium cards due to ease of configuration.

Digium card is definitely good one, but only till it doesnt see a
competition :)
Cost of G729 License is far less then what is being charged.

> I haven't really seen any advantages to Sangoma.

I personally find so many good reason to buy a Sangoma Card, some of
which as mentioned by Moises are :

1) Multi codec Conversion: G722, G729, iLBC, GSM (iLBC is a great
addition coz this codec is really cost effective even vs G723 and eats
up loads of CPU if done on Server/PC Processors)

2) Ability to use it on multiple software e.g. FreeSWITCH

3) Ability to use Transcoding as SERVICE i.e. card physically on
different hardware while using it over network on different server,
this is a cool functionality especially those who are using CLOUD
Servers and mutliple call processing on different Cloud Boxes while
Physically having one server to insert the TransCoding card.

I believe earlier Howler Tech was offering this option, but their
pricing model killed them. But as far as the pricing goes for Sangoma,
they are much more cost effective then Digium, so my Vote definitely
goes to Sangoma for their Transcoding hardware (they are also
promising Video Transcoding on Hardware, so far we have to watch those
card performance vs cost matrix)

As far as Digium goes, I have used these cards, but due to the
restriction of only 92 channels (i have personally not seen 120
channels EVER even on using just G729 on the CLI command: core show
transcoder)

If Sangoma provides one such card for test, I can provide in more
interesting comparison reviews and how we are deploying the same on
customer sites.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Mitul Limbani,