[asterisk-biz] Asterisk cluster / failover program - Lite version announcement

Patrick Lists asterisk-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Sun Nov 21 15:07:50 CST 2010

On 11/21/2010 04:58 PM, lists at contacttel.com wrote:

> Sorry you can't put Asterisk and failover in same sentence.
>
> Any one who Thinks and sells that, is just plain defrauding clients,
>
> Same goes for those 99.999%uptime guys... that's like under 25 secs downtime
> in 30 days...
>
> Just no way,

Hopefully I understand correctly what GenerationD offers but I don't
think it offers stateful failover where ongoing calls get transferred to
another Asterisk box with minimal interruption. That is the big
challenge. What I think GenerationD offers is stateless active/passive
failover which is nice but not good enough in demanding environments.

I have seen carrier-class boxes reach and even do better than 99,999%
availability. But this stuff costs some serious mountains of cash and is
definitely in a different league than Asterisk. So "just no way" is a
bit of a stretch :)

Regards,
Patrick