[asterisk-biz] DIDX Query

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Thu Nov 4 07:49:56 CDT 2010

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 3:49 AM, Dan Journo <dan at keshercommunications.com> wrote:
> Alex,
>
> Do you think Didx should be avoided?
> If so, where do you go for dids?
>
> Can you recommend a better provider?
>
> Thanks
> Dan

Dan, I went ahead and fixed your top post, the same practice you
scolded me about.  I only really top post to questions that can be
answered easily, or flat out off topic, especially when the answers
are easily obtained through Google or the website.

Personally, I would avoid DIDx.  Do some of your own leg work.  Search
the archives.

Are you just looking for DIDs to port somewhere else, or are you
looking for service as well?  Did you cost out the usage based on your
historical or expected usage?

Things like this make me raise an eyebrow.
http://blogs.didx.net/2010/08/honest-review-of-didx-by-member-since.html

First, when someone says "honestly" or " to tell you the truth" that
is a big red flag to me.  Why the need to qualify something as honest
or truthful?

The second part of this is that it is B2B and a very close
relationship between DIDx and Comtel which was acquired by Astraqom,
the company that posted "Honestly" about DIDx.  The Comtel acquisition
was done in March of this year (2010).

Max failed to disclose pertinent information.

Here is an excerpt from Max Glucksmann's resume (
http://www.scribd.com/doc/25124119/Max-Glucksmann-2010-01-DB-PBX-Web-Mail-IT-Manager-Resume
) with no disclosure in the "Honest" testimonial:

 DIDx. Pensacola, FL
12/2007 - Present
→ Worked as an API integrator, building web pages to use and display
the APIs for DIDx DID number purchasing and management
through Comtel Networks' website.
→ Sold DIDs to Comtel Networks' clients through the API integration seamlessly.
→ Attended different conference shows representing DIDx as an API
Integrator and customer support agent. Helped accrue new DIDx
members and helped them during the sign-up Inter-op process. The shows
attended include: NXTComm 08, ITExpo 08 & 09,
Astricon 08, CTIA Wireless 09 & VON 09

Wow, it looks like the testimonial was written by  a person employed
by DIDx and Astraqom/Comtel.  Even if he was not getting paid, this
close alliance should have been disclosed, but I would bet a steak
dinner that he is employed by DIDx in some manner, whether it is free
minutes or a paycheck.  I seriously doubt that he loves DIDx to do
this with no strings attached.

I am sure it is just pure coincidence that both businesses are in
Pensacola, FL..  I will research addresses later if I have time, they
don't seem to be posted.  For some reason, I think they may even share
office space or are next door neighbors.

They have always come across to me as a shady company and I refuse to
do business with them partially because of that and the fact that
everytime I out them, I get constant calls from Suzanne Bowen.  There
is a very long history there and I hope this example of their business
practices helps you.

They are excellent at SEO, so search the users and biz archives.

Here are a few questions to ask yourself:

1.  Do I really want to go with the cheapest provider?

2.  Can I port my numbers at anytime or do they really belong to
someone else?  Does DIDx hold them or some 3rd party.

3.  Who is the RespOrg for the DIDs?

4.  If it is taking so long for DIDx to reply to your questions and I
didn't see a phone number, why would you even consider them?

5.  Are you looking for VoIP services as well as DIDs?   Have you
checked the rates?  A few dollars of savings on one piece of the
equation can amount to large expenses in another.

I like Vitelity personally and often recommend Junction and VoicePulse.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro