[asterisk-biz] Digium vs. Sangoma Transcoding card

Bryant Zimmerman BryantZ at zktech.com
Mon Nov 1 09:39:39 CDT 2010

Dovid

The Digium card can take any supported codec in Asterisk and change it to G729 or G723 depending on how you have the card set up. It will take the load of the CPU for this translation.

The Sangoma Card will currently do it for.
 codec support     . G.711 . GSM-FR
. G.722 . GMS-EFR
. G.722.1 . AMR
. G.723.1 . AMR-WB (G.722.2)
. G.726 . L8 (Linear 8K)
. G.729AB . L16 (Linear 16K)
. iLBC

   This is a big win if you are using a diverse codec pool. They also have support for 30 to 480 translations per card (Depends on card purchased).  This makes Digium the jack-knife of codec translations and Sangoma the SwishArmy knife. Digium is top notch at what it offers. Sangoma has taken it one step further they want to have the most varsital encoder card. They support both Asterisk and FreeSwitch. They are two different products. The Digium is simple and great with-in it's design confines. The Sangoma is broader and more robust but may take a little more work on initial setup. Their support is top notch and they are committed to your success with their cards. They make money when you as a happy customer tell others. Why do you think I am telling you about the product. I can sell either Digium cards or Sangoma cards. I don't care which my customer buys. I make the same margin either way. I want my customer to get the right card for their requirements. For me it is fast becoming the Sangoma as our network grows.

Here is a link to their spec Flyer. It answers most of the questions. It really comes down to what do you want. Either card will do the job for g729 or g711.  The Sangoma goes beyond that as well.

http://www.sangoma.com/assets/docs/datasheets/en/d100.pdf

Regards
Bryant