[asterisk-biz] VoIPJet

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed May 5 04:16:00 CDT 2010

On May 5, 2010, at 12:49 AM, Dan Journo wrote:

> We need to make a VOIP providers review board to post things like this to make sure other people don't lose their money.

The problem with that is anyone on such a review board would need to be able to investigate claims, which may be difficult if parties do not cooperate.  It would be potentially bad to assume guilt based on a lack of cooperation with the board since there is no contractual obligation to do so, and there may be legislative hurdles that prevent it in some jurisdictions.  Another problem is that the board would have to be non-biased,  meaning they cant be running a competing service.  There is a legal liability if you call a company shady or criminal without any actual crime or shadiness being committed, since it could impact their business model.  In the US at least the RICO extortion act could come into play if any comments are made such as "cooperate or we will list you as bad" since that is a "threat of economic harm" under the statue.  That statute has generally a 3 year minimum on convictions with a max of 20 years.  Other jurisdictions may have similar laws.

It would be far too easy to just nominate all competitors as "scammers" just to cause less business to be given to them.

If a board certified companies known to be reputable it may work better.  In this way, a company that contractually agrees to certain procedures which can include payment, refunds, service responses, arbitration and other things that a board might see fit to implement, then consumers would be able to select providers that are part of such a system.  There would have to be a certain level of branding and promoting of such an organization which is likely not going to be free of charge.  How all of this, including the investigation into claims, is paid for is a whole different discussion ...

--
Trixter aka Bret McDanel
http://www.0xdecafbad.com