[asterisk-biz] Foip solution

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Mar 31 00:13:45 CDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-31 at 00:47 -0400, James Sharp wrote:
> Alex Balashov wrote:
>
> > Interesting.  I'd be curious to know how much that kind of access costs
> > at sea.
>
> I want to say that the 1mbps/1mbps service was about $1300/mo, but don't
> quote me on that (as I no longer work for the company in question, we
> parted on not-so-good terms).  The ocean going vessels also required an
> auto-tracking gyro-stabilized Ku-band dish package that was (again,
> don't quote me) about $30K.  But we had reports that one particular
> vessel never lost a single phone call or fax call even when taking
> 16-18ft seas.

For reference gyro stabilized tracking systems suitable for marine use
are about $6k retail, transceiver dish arrays (LNBs that you stick on a
suitable dish) are $1-2k depending on what you get.  If they are doing
24GHz systems for $30k they are ripping people off.

$1300/mo for 1Mbps satellite is a bit excessive, even the predator
drones which use a 3rd party ISP to relay unencrypted video telemetry
does not cost that much.

Not saying they didnt charge this, just saying its excessively priced.
pgp key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8AE5C721