[asterisk-biz] Mike Diehl-Fax Service

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Mar 30 19:04:22 CDT 2010

On 03/30/2010 07:35 PM, Xirak M wrote:

> You surely got issues with these guys!
>
> The guy is just trying to sell stuff and he got his point across loud
> and clear.
>
> Calm down le professeur!

In principle, you are correct.  And, I'm not an academic;  I'm in
business as much as everyone else.  :-)

My argument about why I take these stances has always been that
standards of discourse, and specifically, quality of writing and
thought, are both (1) necessary and (2) don't set themselves.

If you believe the point of the list is simply to enable the transaction
of commerce by whatever communicative means are adequate to convey the
information, then there's really no need for any standards or to call
anyone out on quality of presentation.

in fact we cn all mk r pitch in txt spk cuz it stl has recvrable signal
U no?  y bother

 From a purely functional, utilitarian standpoint, it certainly works.

I suppose I have always attached additional qualitative value to good
communication, and also think that on an interpersonal level it is a
valuable point of marketing differentiation.  Additionally, in my
experience underlying intelligence and diligence expressed in writing is
a useful data point insofar as it correlates sufficiently to the quality
of the vendor as regards technical sophistication and effectiveness of
customer service.  It is not the only data point, of course, and there
are exceptions to everything.

However, I'll bet I'm not the only person that associates poor writing
with poor thinking, which, when peeled away, often reveals poor
technology, bad design, and other signs of amateur structure, naive
business models, spotty fly-by-night operations,
fast-and-loose/get-rich-quick thinking, and other weaknesses in
underlying substance.  I've certainly received enough e-mail privately
from members of this list suggesting that they concur with this
assessment, and have even gotten a few customers who singled me out for
my stances on this as a useful differentiating point.

If you don't happen to share in these inductive associations, then you
will see what I do as a pointless waste of time and the expression of a
needlessly abrasive, immature demeanour.  I'm certainly neither
oblivious to that nor unaware of the liabilities it carries to my
reputation, or the resulting business impact.

However, as I'm sure you know, some people go into business for
themselves not only to make money, but also to be able to actualise - to
put into practice - certain strongly-held values;  in other words, to do
whatever it is they believe the right thing to be.  This ability is
often constrained in most employment settings.  It also often conflicts
with the imperative of making money, which can be clearly seen from how
popular my idiosyncrasies make me.  It can also win a lot of solidarity
and partisanship from folks who privately agree with me, which I found
to be a pleasant surprise on a commercial and personal level, as I was
definitely not expecting that.

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems LLC