[asterisk-biz] Mike Diehl-Fax Service

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Mar 30 14:30:43 CDT 2010

Nabeel,

On 03/30/2010 02:53 PM, Nabeel Jafferali wrote:

> I've always been mildly amused by your posts, and for the most part I've
> even been inclined to say the respective posters incurred your wrath
> rightfully so - but in this case, you are out of line. His posting was
> perfectly acceptable, notwithstanding his English skills, which while not
> perfect are IMHO decent enough for this "international" mailing list.
>
> I can appreciate your compulsive need to shoot down people who ask stupid
> questions without doing their own research or annoy the list with repeated
> postings of the same information, but for this (relative) newcomer to the
> list, this is not the welcome he deserves.
>
> I realize you may respond by saying he is "guilty by association", but I
> don't think that's reasonable argument.

All fair arguments, and reasonably made.

I disagree with the factual aspects of allegations of "compulsive"
needs on my part, though.  Moreover, while there are many things that
could be said about the entourage with which Nauman is associated,
"guilty by association" is not a fair judgment and not really a viable
motive for my reply.

As I have pointed out repeatedly in various threads with folks like
Rehan, I have no interest in assailing anyone's poor English skills -
only a lack of effort and apparent inconsistency in any language in a
written medium.  It is the latter which drew my response in Neuman's
post.  I trust I do not need to fully anatomise it, but will furnish
one instructive example:

 > "We offer Fax Numbers in the form of  www.superfax.com  which is a
 > Fax 2 email service, that allows you to own a fax number, without a
 > fax machine."

1) Why is "Fax Numbers" capitalised, but then, subsequently, "fax
number" is not?

2) The problems of the construction "Fax 2 email" in serious
correspondence don't need explanation, I trust.

Anyway, you're right - compared to what usually comes out of that
company, and compared to some of the appallingly inconsiderate,
atrociously uncultured things people post to this list, this actually
isn't so bad.  Sorry, Nauman;  I forgot that commercial solicitations
should be evaluated in relative terms, not absolute ones.

There might even be a special kind of Olymp--eh... never mind.

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems LLC

Tel    : +1 678-954-0670