[asterisk-biz] Sales Tax -

Fred Posner fred at teamforrest.com
Wed Mar 17 09:51:52 CDT 2010

On Mar 17, 2010, at 10:39 AM, John Rousseau wrote:

> I purchased a portion of a company that does Hosted PBX Services over
> Asterisk.
> We have several customers in Kansas City, one in Texas and one in Tennessee.
> There are ones and two's across the states here and there.
> The company that I purchased this from, looking through all the invoices,
> they did not charge sales tax.
>
> Do I have to charge my customers sales tax if my services are from SIP
> providers like compartners, or Level 3 or global crossings?
>
> The way that it was told to me was, I am a Nomatic Voice over IP company.  I
> am asking this as a very General question.
>

> Sincerely
> Gtx Communications

Every state is different, but you should absolutely contact a lawyer to help you with this if you don't have first hand experience with the regulations of that jurisdiction. Some states consider you applicable if you resell service to a resident that has a "local" number, others require some presence of your company (such as offices, delivery trucks, service trucks, etc.). Some make you pay even if you've paid you carrier the tax.

My immediate recommendation is to get a communication lawyer with good knowledge of comm taxes to help with this. Some of the bigger firms are actually very cost effective.

---fred
http://qxork.com