[asterisk-biz] USF payments

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Tue Mar 2 18:31:03 CST 2010

Our primary termination/origination carrier (Vitelity) has recently
decided to start charging us a USF percentage on every payment we make
to them. Keep in mind, 90% of the money we pay them is for
administrative fees, not for origination or termination charges on any
of the several hundred DIDs which get very little usage.

Our other two carriers don't do this, but I'm wondering whether or not
they're out of the ordinary, or if it's just Vitelity.

It seems as though USF, which is a pay-for-use fee, should not be
allowed to be assessed on administrative and non-traffic-related
commerce. It strays away from being a USF charge at that point and
becomes a general 'service charge' for non USF-related purposes.

Have people run into this with other carriers?

N.