[asterisk-biz] Isle of Man DIDs

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Jun 29 09:24:57 CDT 2010

On 06/29/2010 10:13 AM, Alistair Cunningham wrote:

> £30 setup per DID, £5 per month per DID, plus outbound call costs to
> whatever destination chosen. The best option would be to a regular UK
> number, so UK national rate. Not a huge problem as call volumes will be
> low, but still would be nice to avoid.

Indeed.  I always wonder what it is that drives origination sales in
obscure jurisdictions with low population density or incredibly small
surface area;  that is to say, who wants DIDs there?   Aside from
local VoIP users, I cannot think of too many reasons why everyone else
would snap up Isle of Man numbers.

This issue also comes up with small operators in bizarre rural
territories in the US who are sitting on a substantial surplus of
number inventory and expect to make a killing on access charges
selling those DIDs in the VoIP world.  It often does not occur to them
that maybe the world is not banging down the doors, eagerly salivating
over PSTN numbers in Musselshell, Montana, and the only way they can
increase origination business is to artificially drive traffic there
by playing games with conference services and other well-known circuses.

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems LLC