[asterisk-biz] subject: 1.4 vs 1.6

Juan Sandro juan.sandro at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 24 09:16:23 CST 2010

Guys...thanks.. for your replies..
I found bellow.. and wonder if you have any comments...
Dear AllI have Asterisk 1.4 installed on my Debian server . I am considering upgrading my Asterisk to the latest version (1.6) . Can you please let me know what are the major benefits when upgrading from Asterisk 1.4 to Asterisk 1.6 ?
Please observe that there is no "1.6" version. Previous to 1.6.0, there was "1.0" and "1.2" and "1.4". Then the release policy changed and we had "1.6.0" and "1.6.1" and now (latest) "1.6.2". These three 1.6.x are all very, very different.
Also note that none of these are LTS releases, something that was recently introduced. LTS is Long Term Support. 1.4 is classified as LTS, and the next LTS will be version 1.8 - yes, we're correcting the mistake and going back to the old way of numbering releases.
Personally, I see the 1.6.x releases as very experimental and don't recommend them for production use.
In regards to changes, there has been a massive amount of changes, especially work done by the Digium dev team to rebuild the internal structure of Asterisk to support massive scalability and improve stability of Asterisk. The major new feature is of course faxing, that was introduced in 1.6.0 and has been improved in every release. Please download the new version and read the documentation that covers the CHANGES as well as instructions for upgrading your product.
As always, there's no reason to upgrade if there are no features you need. 1.4 is still a supported release.
Best regards,/Olle