[asterisk-biz] The newest buzz word - cloud computing

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Mon Feb 1 22:13:59 CST 2010

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010, Mike Roberts wrote:

> Cloud computing, a really cool sounding buzz word.
>
> Was wondering if anyone on the list can elaborate on how this technology
> will impact Asterisk, specifically how Asterisk would be deployed using this
> technology.  (Or should it be be deployed in the cloud).
>
> We are in the process of building an information line (IVR) which needs full
> redundancy/fail-over will the cloud provide that?

  We are storing Voicemails, Outgoing messages and Call Recordings "in the
  cloud" using Amazon S3.  All of our web servers and VoIP servers can
  access and locally cache commonly requested items without requiring a copy
  on all the servers.  And it's fast enough that our customers don't notice
  that it's being copied or streamed over the network and not directly from
  disk (when not cached).

  Google "asterisk ec2" on how to roll asterisk out on Amazon's EC2 service.

  There are engineering tasks to make it all work in a failover capacity,
  but it can be done.