[asterisk-biz] VoIP and Internet connection

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Mon Feb 1 20:44:35 CST 2010

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010, jthomas at cequip.com wrote:

> We are exploring if we can become an ISP and provide DSL connection
> ourselves. We have about $100K at our disposal. We do not have much idea
> about what is involved in becoming an ISP and how to go about it.
>
> Does any one of you have any suggestion?

  You could test a MiFi wireless router from Sprint, or find a device which
  accepts a USB dongle from one of the wireless cell providers and turns it
  into Ethernet.  Usually little or no setup fee, about $60/month.  Usually
  available most anywhere, though you may have to get creative about where
  you put it.  Check out evdoinfo.com for devices and service (just a place
  that has always answered questions and knows their stuff).

  If that doesn't work, you could always sniff for wifi in the area and see
  if whomever has it would be willing to give you a feed.

  If that doesn't work, Clearwire is offering $29.99/month High-Speed 3G
  Internet.  Not great coverate yet, but it may help in some areas.

  If that doesn't work, ... satellite?  Would be horrible for VoIP, but
  that's an option.

  Don't become an ISP.  Just don't.  It's a pain in the ass and the margins
  are so thin and the industry so entrenched that you'll hurt yourself,
  especially if it is just to get more customers for your VoIP business.

Beckman