[asterisk-biz] VoIP and Internet connection

jthomas at cequip.com jthomas at cequip.com
Mon Feb 1 20:22:19 CST 2010

We are a 2-man company providing hosted PBX solution to businesses. So
far we have done reasonably well, and got enough businesses to make a
decent profit to pay our bills.

The hurdle we are facing is getting decent Internet connection at
reasonable price to our clients. A new company calls us, and say, they
want 4 lines in their office. We ask them to get any kind of Internet
connection at their premise. The problem is they cannot get DSL without
a telephone connection, and Cox charges them a lot for cable! In fact it
is cheaper for them to get both Internet and telephone service from Cox
than Internet only. Outrageous but that is fact of life. We lose a lot
of business because of this.

We are exploring if we can become an ISP and provide DSL connection
ourselves. We have about $100K at our disposal. We do not have much idea
about what is involved in becoming an ISP and how to go about it.

Does any one of you have any suggestion?

Thanks,
Jacob.