[asterisk-biz] UK Mobile Needed

Steve Kennedy steve-asterisk at gbnet.net
Wed Apr 28 13:17:56 CDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 06:46:03PM +0100, David Knell wrote:

[snip]
> >> No, you're not.
> > You are if you change CLI so you're not coming form a UK number, but the
> > call is originated out of the UK.
> Which law?  And what if I just obliterated the CLI all together?

That's not allowed either. It's definately an ITU regulation, which I
believe all major telco's adhere too.

I also believe there are national laws ie in the UK the Communications
Act which anyone offering communications services has to adhere to.

[snip]
> Interconnect rates for certain numbers differ(ed) substantially depending
> on whether calls were originated internationally or not - k-rate numbers
> carry
> roughly double the interconnect rate for domestically originated calls as
> for
> international ones, and the same may well have been true for mobile calls.
> Now, though, international and domestically originated calls to mobiles
> carry
> pretty much the same interconnect rate, so there's no benefit to be gained
> by
> tromboning them through a country overseas.

I don't dispute that it's no longer efficient to trombone mobile calls.
I still think changing or removing CLI so a telco doesn't know you're
coming from the UK is wrong (and as stated I think contravenes one of
the Comms Act obligations).

Steve

--
NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44 7775 755503
UK +44 20 7993 2612  /  US +1 310 857 7715  /  Fax +44 20 7483 2455