[asterisk-biz] RES: OpenSIPS Bootcamp

OpenSIPS flavio at opensips.org
Fri Apr 2 17:22:32 CDT 2010

I thought three times before replying this post, mailing list discussions
are endless, but you have insulted me publicly and thus I cannot stay quiet
about this.

>"Well, as you contributed nothing in terms of code, money and time to bring
openser at this stage, but now you use its name for own financial reasons,
>it is in the open source spirit that you >should give the proper credits
and try to figure out the truth and present it correctly."

If users are not contributors of a project, please put a sign in your
website "users are not welcome here", if this is your open source spirit
certainly it is not mine. You are not considering the percentage of the
royalties that come from my book "Building Telephony Systems with OpenSER"
so your statement is simply not true and unfair to a whole community of
users who test, debug and show new uses and requirements for the software.
About financial reasons, I don't know how it works where you live, but in
western countries in the end of the month, bills can only be paid using
money. To write the book "Building Telephony Systems with OpenSER" took me
two years and in my opinion it has contributed to increase the user base of
OpenSER. As you give the impression to consider users unimportant and
irrelevant, this is probably considered nothing.  To be honest, I think I
deserve some apologies for this statement.

The thing that bother me most was the insinuation that I get financial
advantage of open source code and do not give back to the community. I have
sponsored and developed the sermyadmin project
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/sermyadmin/), an web graphical user
interface for OpenSER, it is free and open source.

I consider myself a respectable member of the Asterisk community.  The
Asterisk books I have written in English and Spanish are free downloads
(www.asteriskguide.com), licensed according to the Creative Commons license,
anyone can read and even write (Wiki-book) to it. The project midivts,
sponsored by my company,  (a Brasilian distribution of Asterisk with
portuguese sounds, mfc/r2 and freepbx translated to portuguese) is hosted in
sourceforge and is open source and free to the community. We have sold in
our company a few thousands of Digium telephony interfaces in the last 5
years, and I believe this helps to sponsor it. Brasil is nowadays one of the
biggest markets for open source telephony software and I'm sure I have
contributed at least a bit for this result, training more than 2000
administrators in the last five years.

>"all the openser developers are still with kamailio"

Unless you consider only the two founders that stayed after the split, this
is simply not true. Again, you are not considering the whole community. Just
checking the list of contributors of the newest version of OpenSIPS in the
changelog, anyone can see that it is not true.

>"Nobody was kicked from anywhere, from where did you get this? The only
action taken when the fork was discovered (few hours before announcement)
was to restrict admin rights (which >meant only no longer ability to
add/remove developers from project) - developer rights, tracker, user
access, everything else was not touched. If others retired by free willing
over the time, it >was by their wish."

I haven't accused you of anything, so I don't know why so many explanations.

This is my last post in this thread and I hope this ends here.

Flavio E. Goncalves,