[asterisk-biz] Asterisk and Yext.com's (on the fly) call transcription..

Ritesh A helloritesh at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 23:23:16 CDT 2009

Peter,

Thanks for the insights. I just tried out Twilio's Speech to Text API and
played the same message as Yext Demo. It worked out pretty well so I am very
impressed. It's likely that Twilio uses SpinVox in the back-end anyway.. By
the way, I think Yext records the call and sends the recorded file for
transcription. This saves the hassle of mixing and transcribing two
different audio files.

Yes, Yext has a fairly impressive solution indeed and I could think of so
many applications that are vertical specific (e.g. Automotive). I could
imagine Yext building a lot of library relevant to each category (e.g.
Doctor, Mechanic, Finance etc) and then doing a close/guess association of
the returned text to white/blacklist certain terms and then splitting them
into different sub-categories (e.g. Year built, Make/Model etc). This is
hard work (hence barrier to entry) and they seem to have raised $17M in
recent round in addition to running a (self asserted) $20M and growing
business. Hard to play the catch up game...

Another interesting fact is that Yext solution would improve with time much
like wine. Given the call/customer flow and lack of competition, Yext could
continue to improve the keyword filtering and categorizing over time
creating a fairly accurate solution.

Ritesh