[asterisk-biz] Asterisk and Yext.com's (on the fly) call transcription..

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Tue Sep 29 23:01:45 CDT 2009

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009, Ritesh A wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Does anyone have a clue on how Yext transcribes the calls (almost) on the
> fly?
> I am pretty sure they are using asterisk at the heart and perhaps using some
> neat APIs for call transcription.
> If you are know of any outfit there that provides similar APIs, please ping
> me...
>
> If anyone is interested in learning more about Yext, here is the video demo
> of their interesting demo at TC50
>
> http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2163590

  I am extremely impressed with Yext.  Thanks for the link and your post!

  Here's my take on how they do it.

  * recording both ends of the call separately (Asterisk can do this)
  * pass both audio files to a voice processing API (SpinVox)
  * integrate the relating text into a conversation flow (very cool, not
    sure how, depends on the API)
  * parse resulting text into keywords matching categories (maybe scoring
    them somehow), then if the score is high enough, using a higher level
    matching (if a year (2007), make (Porche) and model (911) are mentioned,
    put them together in the right order and put it in the inbox,
    searchable).

  Both the merging of the two sides of conversation and The keyword matching
  is where they really did some cool stuff.  While I can think of how they
  did it in theory, it probably took a lot of work to pull that off.
  "Automotive" is likely a set of related keywords, and then another set of
  keyword combinations.  One of the combos combine the matches on keywords
  found, then matches those to "[year] [make] [model]" as a relevant
  keyphrase if Automotive is selected.

Beckman