[asterisk-biz] CLEC costs

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Thu Sep 24 11:03:33 CDT 2009

Brian Scott wrote:

> We are preparing to negotiate a contract renewal with our SIP vendor.
> Not having a telecom background, I don't really have a frame of
> reference on what our vendor's costs are. But we are sending around
> $25K/mo their way, and I'm looking to reduce that, so I'd like to be
> armed with some knowledge before I start negotiating. Does anyone know:
>
> 1) how much does a DID cost a CLEC. Ignoring usage, per-channel fees,
> infrastructure, etc., what is a CLEC's incremental out-of-pocket cost
> to obtain and maintain a new block of DIDs?

This is difficult to say and depends on many factors related to
operating area, whether number pooling is operative there, which tandems
they're connected to, etc.

What can be said with great certainty is that numbering resources cost
carriers quite little compared to what you're getting charged as a
customer of an ITSP;  numbers are a high-margin item for ITSPs that they
themselves obtain from carriers at relatively low cost, and use the
spread from recurring monthly DID fees to subsidise the lower-margin
revenue from minutes.

A few cents per number - at most.

> 2) for inbound toll-free calls, our vendor charges us a non-completion
> surcharge if over 10% of inbound calls are not answered. But they
> don't charge the same on inbound non-toll-free calls. Is there
> something special about the nature of an unanswered toll-free call
> (e.g. is there some "dip" that our vendor would be doing, or some
> other actual cost that they would be exposed to?) or would this
> perhaps just be "gravy" for them?

The carrier charges them a flat, nonrefundable surcharge for incoming
toll-free calls.  If they are not passing that along to you, then this
is their way of recouping some part of it.  No, it's not "gravy."

> 3) ignoring the (admittedly significant) human processing time that it
> takes for LNPs, is there an actual out-of-pocket cost that a CLEC
> would pay in order to facilitate an LNP?

Are you factoring in amortised costs required for the non-human
infrastructure to do LNP, or not?  You have to pay for Neustar NPAC
access, get and set up switches that do LNP, pay an STP vendor to do LNP
dips for you, etc, etc.

Otherwise, there is no incremental cost on LNP.  However, as you have
already acknowledged, the human cost is *very* *significant* due to the
bureaucratic requirements put forth by the Bellheads and the FCC at
conception.

I used to work for a CLEC of about ~15 people;  3 of them were devoted
to LNP, full-time.  And they were spread quite thin.  It's pretty
ridiculous.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov - Principal