[asterisk-biz] CLEC costs

Brian Scott brian at tierra.net
Thu Sep 24 10:52:14 CDT 2009

We are preparing to negotiate a contract renewal with our SIP vendor.
Not having a telecom background, I don't really have a frame of
reference on what our vendor's costs are. But we are sending around
$25K/mo their way, and I'm looking to reduce that, so I'd like to be
armed with some knowledge before I start negotiating. Does anyone know:

1) how much does a DID cost a CLEC. Ignoring usage, per-channel fees,
infrastructure, etc., what is a CLEC's incremental out-of-pocket cost
to obtain and maintain a new block of DIDs?

2) for inbound toll-free calls, our vendor charges us a non-completion
surcharge if over 10% of inbound calls are not answered. But they
don't charge the same on inbound non-toll-free calls. Is there
something special about the nature of an unanswered toll-free call
(e.g. is there some "dip" that our vendor would be doing, or some
other actual cost that they would be exposed to?) or would this
perhaps just be "gravy" for them?

3) ignoring the (admittedly significant) human processing time that it
takes for LNPs, is there an actual out-of-pocket cost that a CLEC
would pay in order to facilitate an LNP?

Thanks,

Brian Scott
TierraNet Inc.
+1.858.309.6326