[asterisk-biz] VUC: RE: Friday 11th: Aswath Rao: "Trapezoidal VoIP is Evil" on VoIP Users Conference at Noon EDT

Kristian Kielhofner kristian.kielhofner at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 17:44:12 CDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 2:24 PM, Dean Collins <Dean at cognation.net> wrote:

> It might just be me but what is trapezoidal voip?
>

> Regards,
>
> Dean Collins
> Cognation Inc
> dean at cognation.net
> +1-212-203-4357   New York
> +61-2-9016-5642   (Sydney in-dial).
> +44-20-3129-6001 (London in-dial).

  I don't know if I'll be able to make the call but my guess is he's
referring to the SIP trapezoid:

http://www.iptel.org/sip_trapezoid

  The SIP trapezoid is a concept/teaching tool usually used in
situations involving a proxy (or multiple proxies) illustrating the
SIP concept of distinct separation between signaling and media.
Granted this isn't unique to SIP...  ISDN, SS7, H.323, MGCP, and I'm
sure others also make this distinction.  IAX is the only protocol I
know of that doesn't (which is where most of it's NAT advantages come
from).

  He's probably going to talk about the advantages and disadvantages
of "the trapezoid" although from the title I'm guessing he's going to
focus on the disadvantages ;).

  Then again I could be completely wrong.  The SIP trapezoid is real
but this speculation is purely my own.

--
Kristian Kielhofner
http://www.astlinux.org